On the island of Amami-Oshima recently I discovered a coffee shop called Burroughs, for the American author William Burroughs. Turns out the owner is a big fan. The place is filled with Japanese translations of all the major Beat authors, and a few English originals. When I went in, they were playing a good Joni Mitchell song. I was sorely tempted to ask for the Naked Lunch, but it was dinnertime. It’s on Route 58, in the middle of town, a few lights south of the harbor.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings on Skyscanner
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads