Today, I picked up a copy of “Ice Cream Once a Year” (1年に1度のアイスクリーム) by Kyoto-resident Robbin LLoyd (with pictures by Gaku Nakagawa). The book is an incredibly uplifting collection of pictures and poems that make you happy you’re alive. The book is written in English and Japanese and it would be a great present for a kid or anyone with kids. You can get it at Junkudo bookstore here in Kyoto on the 8th floor, or online at Amazon Japan here.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings on Skyscanner
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads