I recently checked out an incredible place to stay in Kyoto: the Ayanokoji-bashi house offered by Aoi Kyoto Stay, a company that specializes in renting refurbished Kyoto houses.
The house is in a lovely restored kura (storehouse) right in downtown Kyoto on the quiet Takasebune Canal. It’s just five minutes’ walk south of Shijo, but it feels like worlds away. It would make the perfect base for exploring Kyoto.
Here’s the living room, with a view of the canal:
There’s a record player and a collection of great records (as well as, of course, an iPod dock):
Here’s the simple kitchen:
For a location map and more details about these Kyoto vacation rental properties, please see our Aoi Kyoto Stay page.
You can also see their website Kyoto Stay for more details.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings on Skyscanner
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads