Garden at Hiean-jingu Shrine in winter – image © Jeffrey Friedl
Most visitors to Heian-jingu Shrine, in Northern Higashiyama, skip the back garden. That’s a mistake, because it’s superb. It looks especially nice under a coating of winter snow.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings on Skyscanner
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads