Setsubun ritual at Heian-jingu Shrine – image © Jeffrey Friedl
Held in the first week of February, Setsubun marks the beginning of spring according to the old Japanese lunar calendar. Colorful rituals are held and temples and shrines around town, including this one at Heian-jingu Shrine.
See our list of all important February events in Kyoto.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings on Skyscanner
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads