Dragon painting at Kennin-ji Temple – image © Damien Douxchamps
If you visit Kyoto’s oldest Zen temple, Kennin-ji Temple, in southern Higashiyama, be sure to look up when you visit the main hall – the dragon painted on the ceiling is incredible!
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings on Skyscanner
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads