Evening in Shimbashi – image © Damien Douxchamps
Minami-Shirakawa-dori, better known as Shimbashi, is a preserved district in the heart of Gion. It’s arguably the single most attractive street in the city, particularly in the evening.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings on Skyscanner
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads