Cherry blossoms in Gion Shimbashi – image © Jeffrey Friedl
Shimbashi, which is properly known as Minami-Shirakawa-dori, is the most beautiful street in Gion. When the cherries are in bloom, the crowds descend on the street. In this case, it’s worth braving the crowds because the illuminated cherry trees are magical.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings on Skyscanner
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads