Plum blossoms at Kitano-Tenmangu Shrine – image © Jeffrey Friedl
The plums are the first major blossom of spring in Kyoto, coming out as early as late January, and peaking in late February or early March. The plum garden (Bai-en) at Kitano-Tenmangu Shrine in northwest Kyoto is a great place to see them.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings on Skyscanner
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads