Arashiyama’s Gio-ji Temple moss garden – image © Damien Douxchamps
One of the hidden gems of Kyoto is the tiny moss garden at Gio-ji Temple in Arashiyama. It’s a bit of a hike from the main sights in Arashiyama, so it’s usually relatively quiet.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings on Skyscanner
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads