Honen-in Temple gate with new green – image © Damien Douxchamps
If you’re lucky enough to be in Kyoto in May, make a beeline for Honen-in Temple. This temple has a great collection of maple trees that look superb in May and early June.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings on Skyscanner
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads