Walkway through Okochi-Sanso Villa garden – image © Damien Douxchamps
One of my favorite gardens in Kyoto, bar none, is the superb stroll garden at the Okochi-Sanso Villa in Arashiyama. For my money, it’s better than any of the Imperial Properties and you don’t need to apply to visit – just show up and enjoy! It even comes with a cup of matcha tea and a sweet.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings on Skyscanner
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads