Torii tunnel at Fushimi-Inari Taisha – image © Damien Douxchamps
The endless tunnels of torii (Shinto shrine gates) at Fushimi-Inari Taisha, in southeast Kyoto, are the most beguiling sights in the city. Just come early, or you’ll be dealing with crowds.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings on Skyscanner
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads