Japan is known the world over for the quality of its knives, and Aritsugu, a knife specialist in Nishiki Market, makes some of the best in the country.
Located on the north side of Nishiki market, a short distance west of Teramachi Shopping Arcade, Aritsugu is almost always packed with professional chefs and hobbyists admiring the incredible selection of blades and other cooking utensils on displays. There are all-round knifes, but if you’re going to get a knife as refined as one of these, we recommend getting something special, like a sushi knife, a vegetable knife, a meat knife or a few different knives.
After you make your selection, the staff will put a final edge on the knife with a huge revolving whetstone. They’ll also engrave the knife with your initials if you wish. Finally, if you intend to give the knife as a gift, they’ll include a small stone to symbolically dull the blade (which might otherwise cut your ties to the recipient of the gift).
219 Kajiya-cho, Nishikikoji-dori, Gokomachi nishi iru, Nakagyo-ku
Kitchen knife from around \10,000
5min walk from Kawaramachi Station, Hankyu line
See hotels near to Aritsugu on Agoda.com
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings on Skyscanner
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads