What is the best time of year to visit Nara? What’s the weather like in Nara month by month? Here, I’ll give you all the answers.
image © Damien Douxchamps
- The two best times to visit Nara are October/November (fall) and March/April/May (spring).
- Nara has a temperate climate, so you can visit at any time of year.
- Summers (June/July/August) in Nara tend to be hot and humid.
- Winters (December/January/February) in Nara can be cold.
- There is a rainy season that goes from mid-June to late July, but it doesn’t rain every day and you can travel in this season.
Nara Weather Month By Month
Nara Weather In January
Average high (C/F): 9/48
Average low (C/F): 1/34
January is usually clear and cool or cold. It will snow or rain a few times a month but the snow doesn’t usually stay on the ground for long. Many businesses are closed from 29 December to 3 January for the New Year’s shogatsu holiday. In general, January is a quiet and peaceful time to visit Nara. See the Nara Annual Events page for information on festivals in January.
Nara Weather In February
Average high (C/F): 10/50
Average low (C/F): 2/34
Winter weather continues into February. There is a chance of rain or snow during this month, but, like January, if it snows, it’s unlikely to stick on the ground for long. The city is not crowded in February, making it a pleasant time to visit. See the Nara Annual Events page for information on festivals in February.
Nara Weather In March
Average high (C/F): 13/56
Average low (C/F): 4/39
The weather starts to warm up in March. Temperatures can vary from cold to warm, so bring clothes to deal with this (layers are best). The plum blossoms come out in mid-March and the cherry blossoms usually start to come out by the end of the month. This is a good time to visit Nara. See the Nara Annual Events page for information on festivals in March.
Nara Weather In April
Average high (C/F): 19/67
Average low (C/F): 9/48
April is when spring arrives in earnest. The first week or so of the month is cherry blossom season, so expect crowds. Weather tends to be warm, but it can still be pretty cool in the evenings, so be prepared for this. The second half of April is less crowded and it’s a very nice time to be in Nara.
Nara Weather In May
Average high (C/F): 24/76
Average low (C/F): 14/57
May is my favorite time to visit Nara: The green on the trees is fresh and beautiful and there are lots of flowers in bloom. The weather tends to be warm but not hot, and the city is not that crowded. See the Nara Annual Events page for information on festivals in May.
Nara Weather In June
Average high (C/F): 27/82
Average low (C/F): 18/65
June is a great time to visit Nara. The weather is warm but the oppressive heat of summer has not really started. It’s usually sunny, but there can be some rainy days, especially at the end of the month, when the rainy season starts. Of course, it doesn’t rain every day even during rainy season and you can visit at any time.
Nara Weather In July
Average high (C/F): 31/88
Average low (C/F): 23/73
The rainy season extends through July and the weather tends to be hot and humid. Still, as noted above, even during the rainy season, it usually does not rain every day and travel is certainly possible during July (just consider bringing a small folding umbrella). If you don’t like crowds, July is a good time to visit.
Nara Weather In August
Average high (C/F): 33/91
Average low (C/F): 24/75
The rainy season usually ends by early August. As soon as it ends, the temperatures rise toward the summer highs. It tends to be very hot and humid in August, but as long as you dress for the heat and humidity, drink plenty of water and take regular breaks, you can enjoy Nara during this month, especially since it’s not very crowded. See the Nara Annual Events page for information on a festival that takes place in August.
Nara Weather In September
Average high (C/F): 28/83
Average low (C/F): 20/68
The heat of summer usually extends a week or two into September, but mornings and evenings start to feel pleasantly cool. The skies are usually very sunny in September and the crowds are thin, making this a great time to visit.
Nara Weather In October
Average high (C/F): 22/73
Average low (C/F): 13/56
October is, without a doubt, one of the best times to visit Nara. The weather is warm or cool and reliably sunny. By the end of the month, Nara’s famous fall foliage starts. And, it’s not as crowded as it will be in November. See the Nara Annual Events page for information on festivals in October.
Nara Weather In November
Average high (C/F): 17/62
Average low (C/F): 8/546
November is one of the best months to visit Nara. The weather tends to be cool and sunny and the fall foliage is at its peak. Needless to say, these great conditions attract the crowds, but you can easily escape them if you want.
Nara Weather In December
Average high (C/F): 11/52
Average low (C/F): 3/37
Winter weather starts in December and it tends to be cool or cold. Skies tend to be sunny, but it may rain or snow a few times during the month. The city is not crowded in December, making it a great time to visit if you like peace and quiet. Just remember that many businesses are closed from 29 December until 3 January (however, the temples and shrines are open as usual).
Where Are These Places Located?See these places on our Nara Google map:
- Open the Nara map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Nara Travel Guide:
- Nara Travel Guide Overview
- Things To Do In Nara
- Places To Eat In Nara
- Nara Itineraries
- Nara Districts
- Nara Hotels
- Nara Ryokan
- Best Time To Go To Nara
- How To Get To Nara
- Getting Around Nara
- Nara Annual Festivals And Events
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings on Skyscanner
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads