Takayama is easy to access from the main cities of Honshu like Tokyo, Nagoya, Osaka or Kyoto. The train is the best way. Here are all the details.
Hida Express © 7455207@N05
- The train is best way between the main cities of Honshu (Japan’s main island) and Takayama. Here are the most important facts.
- Tokyo > Takayama: 4 hours, 20 minutes, Y13,930 (change at Nagoya)
- Kyoto > Takayama: 3 hours 15 minutes, Y9,180 (change at Nagoya)
- Osaka > Takayama: 3 hours 33 minutes, Y9,820 (change at Nagoya)
- Nagoya > Takayama: 2 hours, 30 minutes, Y5,520
- The Japan Rail Pass covers all these routes.
See below for full details.
The train is the best way to get to Takayama unless you’re coming from Kanazawa, in which case a bus is your best bet.
- Takayama is located in central Honshu (Japan’s main island), a short distance west of the main part of the Japan Alps. It’s about 240km/150mi northwest of Tokyo, 118km/73mi north of Nagoya, and 184km/52mi northeast of Kyoto.
- Takayama is on the JR Takayama Main Line, which runs north from Nagoya. If you’re coming from the main cities of Honshu like Tokyo, Kyoto or Osaka, the best way is to take a shinkansen on the JR Tokaido Line to Nagoya and then switch to a Hida Wide View Express train that does the journey between Nagoya and Takayama in about 2 hours and 30 minutes. Do not take a local train as it takes about twice as long!
- There’s about one train an hour during daylight hours. You can usually get a seat in the unreserved car, but I recommend reserving a seat if you’re traveling in peak travel periods (May and the New Year’s period).
- See the Takeaway section above for fares and travel times.
Bus From Kanazawa
- If you’re coming from the Kanazawa, then a bus is the best way to get to Takayama. Buses run from the bus terminal outside JR Kanazawa Station and the bus terminal outside JR Takayama Station in about 2 hours and 30 minutes and cost Y3,390.
Where Are These Places Located?See these places on our Takayama Google map:
- Open the Takayama map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Takayama Travel Guide:
- Takayama Travel Guide Overview
- Things To Do In Takayama
- Best Places To Eat In Takayama
- Takayama Itineraries
- Takayama Cherry Blossoms
- Takayama Fall Foliage
- Takayama Ryokan
- Takayama Hotels
- How To Get To Takayama
- Getting Around Takayama
- When To Go To Takayama