An old sento (public bath) decorated with tile mosaics that has been turned into a café, Sarasa Nishijin is one of Kyoto’s most interesting restaurants.
We always feel conflicted when we go into Saraca Nishijin: one on hand, it’s about the coolest café in town, on the other hand, it used to be one of the most beautiful sento (public baths) in the city.
Still, there’s no point in crying over spilt bath water and Saraca Nishijin is well worth a visit. The menu is pretty traditional café fare and the service can be irregular, but it’s such a fascinating space that waiting a few extra minutes for your drink is no hardship.
11-1 Higashi Fujinomori-cho, Murasakino, Kita-ku
Non-smoking area: Yes
7min walk from Daitoku-ji-mae Bus Stop, Kyoto City Bus 206 from Kyoto Station
Official Website (Japanese)
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings on Skyscanner
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads