Takayama is a good place to enjoy Japan’s famous cherry blossoms. They bloom a bit later here than in Kyoto or Tokyo, so it’s good if you arrive late in Japan. Here is information on timing and a list of the best spots.
Takayama canal with sakura in full bloom © xiffy
In a hurry? Scroll down to our list of Takayama’s best cherry blossom spots. For information on the timing of cherry blossom season in Takayama, read the following section first.
When Is Cherry Blossom Season In Takayama?
In Takayama, the cherry blossoms (sakura) usually bloom in the last week of March and the first two weeks of April (roughly between 25 March and 14 April). In an average year, the blooms peak on 10 April in Takayama. Once they bloom, they are notoriously fickle: sometimes almost all the trees will come into full bloom (mankai) at the same time and stay in full bloom for a week or even longer.
Takayama’s Best Cherry Blossom Spots
Here is our list of the best cherry blossom spots in Takayama. For more details on these places, visit our Things To Do in Takayama page.
- Miya-gawa Riverbank: The main river, which runs right through the heart of city, is lined with several beautiful cherry trees. Check them out from any of the bridges that cross the river.
- Enaka-gawa Riverbank: The more easterly of the city’s two rivers (actually, it looks more like a canal), is lined with lovely cherry trees. It’s very near the Higashiyama Walkway.
- Shiroyama-koen Park: This hilltop park, a short walk south of the Sanmachi-suji District, is a great place to enjoy the cherry blossoms and maybe even have an impromptu hanami (cherry blossom viewing) party.
Where Are These Places Located?See these places on our Takayama Google map:
- Open the Takayama map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Takayama Travel Guide:
- Takayama Travel Guide Overview
- Things To Do In Takayama
- Best Places To Eat In Takayama
- Takayama Itineraries
- Takayama Cherry Blossoms
- Takayama Fall Foliage
- Takayama Ryokan
- Takayama Hotels
- How To Get To Takayama
- Getting Around Takayama
- When To Go To Takayama
Other Japan Travel Guides:
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings on Skyscanner
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads