I am very lucky to live right below Shinnyodo Temple in Kyoto. There’s almost always something in bloom. I took a walk around the temple grounds yesterday to enjoy the rich green of early summer.
Next door to Shinnyodo is Kurodani Temple, which is home to Saiun-in subtemple. Saiun-in has a nice collection of lotus plants growing in front of the main hall. The lotus plant, of course, is a significant figure in Buddhism and the central mantra of Buddhism proclaims that the Buddha is the jewel in the lotus flower.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings on Skyscanner
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads