Jisso-in Temple in Iwakura, northern Kyoto – image © Damien Douxchamps
Iwakura is a village on the Eizan Line in northern Kyoto (the same train line that takes you up to Kurama). Few visitors to Kyoto get off at Iwakura. Those who do are rewarded by the garden at Jisso-in Temple.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings on Skyscanner
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads