Jizo figure praying in the leaves – image © Jeffrey Friedl
Jizo is a Bodhisattva much loved by the Japanese. He usually appears as a small stone statue, often barely distinguishable from natural rocks. This one is at Otagi-Nenbutsu-ji Temple in western Arashiyama.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads