There are numerous places to see Japan’s Autumn Foliage throughout the country. Here are my highlights of where to view the autumn leaves in several of Japan’s most scenic cities.
Sentō-gosho Garden © 10110263@N03
Japan’s cherry blossoms are famous the world over, but the fall foliage in Kyoto is perhaps even more beautiful. Here’s our guide on how to see the Autumn Colors in Kyoto at its best.
Brilliant maple tree in Nara-koen Park © coolinsights
Nara is a great place to see Japan’s famous autumn colors. The city is filled with park, temples, shrines and gardens where you can enjoy the leaves. Here is a list of the best spots and information on timing. Read my complete guide to Nara Autumn Foliage.
Colored Leaves at Shinjuku Central Park © jseita
Tokyo’s cherry blossoms are world famous, but the fall foliage in the city can be almost as beautiful. If you’re in the city between mid-October and mid-December, you can enjoy the city against a backdrop of colorful leaves. Read my complete guide to Tokyo Autumn Foliage.
Maple tree in Kenroku-en Garden © bryansjs
Kanazawa is a fantastic place to see Japan’s famous autumn colors. The city is filled with parks and green spaces where you can enjoy the colors. Here is a list of the best spots and information on timing. Read my complete guide to Kanazawa Autumn Foliage.
Ginko trees in Autumn on Midosuji Boulevard © hetgacom
Osaka is more than just tall buildings and neon – it’s got some great parks and green spaces. Starting in mid-October, the leaves turn color and you can enjoy the autumn foliage right through December. Here are our picks for the best spots. Read my complete guide to Osaka autumn foliage.
Takayama’s Hido no Sato with fall colors © kimon
Takayama is a great place to enjoy Japan’s fall foliage. Here, I’ll introduce the best foliage-viewing spots in Takayama.
Autumn colors on Miyajima Island © freedomiiphotography
Hiroshima is a decent place to see Japan’s famous autumn foliage, and the nearby island of Miyajima is a fantastic place to enjoy the colors. Here, I’ll introduce the best foliage-viewing spots in Hiroshima and Miyajima. Read my complete guide to Hiroshima and Miyajima autumn foliage.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, you might save money with Japan Rail Pass – see if it's worth it for you
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world