Kyoto is packed with great accommodation, but how to find the true standouts? Here is a list of what I consider to be the best places to stay in Kyoto.
Location, Location, Location! © dolapo
If you’re looking to book a place to stay in Kyoto, you can’t go wrong with any of the Kyoto hotels or ryokan on this list. They’re at the top of their class for a reason, or, to be exact, several reasons: location, service, facilities and value.
Best Luxury Hotel In Kyoto
Hyatt Regency Kyoto: The Hyatt brings it all together: beautiful rooms, attentive English-speaking staff, great onsite restaurants, good facilities and a fine location in the Southern Higashiyama sightseeing district.
Best Mid-Range Hotel In Kyoto
Dormy Inn Premium Kyoto Ekimae-Kyoto: Located just across the street from Kyoto Station, the Dormy Inn is a mid-range hotel that just tries harder. Topped off with a large “hot spring bath,” this is a great place to stay in Kyoto.
Best Budget Hotel In Kyoto
Toyoko Inn Kyoto Gojo-Karasuma: Savvy budget travelers know that the Toyoko Inn chain provides the comforts of a hotel at guesthouse prices, and the Kyoto Gojo-Karasuma branch is no exception.
Best Guesthouse In Kyoto
Tour Club: The Tour Club was one of the first foreigner-friendly guesthouses in Kyoto and it remains the best, due to careful management and attentive staff.
See the Kyoto Hostels and Guesthouses page for more recommended guesthouse picks.
Best Ryokan In Kyoto
Tawaraya: Those who have stayed here know that it’s worth a trip to Japan just to sample the delights of this superb ryokan. It’s one of the finest accommodations in the world.
Best Vacation Rental In Kyoto
Gion House: The two units in the Gion House are stylish retreats right on the edge of all the action in Gion. They represent the best of Japanese and Western design.
See Kyoto Vacation Rentals for more property recommendations
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads (and here's why)