Ryokans are naturally romantic – you relax in a yukata (light robe) and gaze out over a private garden and while eating a fine Japanese meal in the privacy of your room. Here are our favorite romantic ryokan in Kyoto.
If you’re looking for a truly romantic experience, then you should definitely try a night or two in a classic Kyoto ryokan. Indeed, there are few things in life more romantic than strolling through the old lanes of Kyoto and then returning to your ryokan to enjoy a sumptuous meal in the comfort of your own room. Indeed, a few nights in a good Kyoto ryokan would make an ideal and memorable honeymoon.
Here are our favorite ryokan for couples in Kyoto.
With an unbeatable location in the heart of the Southern Higashiyama temple district, Gion Hatanaka is a polished ryokan that gets everything right: décor, service, food and rooms. You can stroll right out the door and be in some of Kyoto’s most picturesque lanes in under a minute. Highly recommended!
:: More Info on Gion Hatanaka
:: Check Availability, Pricing and Guest Reviews for Gion Hatanaka at Booking.com and Agoda.com
This wonderful classic ryokan within walking distance of both downtown and the Southern Higashiyama temple district would make be a great place for a romantic night or two in Kyoto. The wooden bathtubs are gorgeous here, as are the gardens, and the food is excellent.
:: More Info on Seikoro
:: Check Availability, Pricing and Guest Reviews for Seikoro at Booking.com and Agoda.com
Less expensive than the other ryokan on this page, Izuyasu is still a wonderful ryokan experience, with beautiful rooms and superb meals served in your room. It’s in the middle of the city, within walking distance of Higashi-Hongan-ji Temple and Kyoto Station.
:: More info about Ryokan Izuyasu
:: Check Availability, Pricing and Guest Reviews of Ryokan Izuyasu on Booking.com or Agoda.com.
This hideaway ryokan up on the slopes of Yoshida-yama feels like a world away from the bustle of the city, but you can actually walk to such sights as Ginkaku-ji Temple and the Path of Philosophy from here in about 15 minutes, and downtown is a very short taxi ride away. The best part of this superb ryokan is its location: you can stroll out the door and be in two of our favorite temples in a matter of minutes: Shinyo-do Temple and Kurodani Temple. Highly recommended!
:: More Info on Yoshida Sanso
:: Check Availability, Pricing and Guest Reviews for Yoshida Sanso at Booking.com and Agoda.com
Tawaraya is one of the best ryokan in all Japan. It’s a sublime hidden world in the heart of the city. If you can afford a night or two here, it will be the memory of a lifetime. You cannot book Tawaraya through third-party sites; you have to book directly. For more information, see our How to Book Tawaraya Ryokan page.
:: More Info about Tawaraya
:: Read Guest Reviews of Tawaraya at TripAdvisor
Another Great Romantic Option in Kyoto: Machiya
Another great option for a romantic getaway in Kyoto are machiya, or traditional Japanese townhouses. These offer the full traditional Japanese experience along with the convenience of your own private vacation rental. For more details, visit our Kyoto Machiya page.
More Kyoto Ryokan info:
- Kyoto Ryokan overview
- Best Luxury Ryokan In Kyoto
- Best Mid Range Ryokan In Kyoto
- Best Budget Ryokan In Kyoto
- Kyoto's Best Ryokan For Families
- Kyoto's Best Ryokan For Couples
- Kyoto Machiya
Best High-End Ryokan In Kyoto
- Tawaraya (Read guest reviews of Tawaraya on TripAdvisor.com)
- Hiiragiya Ryokan (Read guest reviews of Hiiragiya on TripAdvisor.com)
- Tamahan (Read guest reviews of Tamahan on TripAdvisor.com)
- Ugenta (Read guest reviews of Ugenta on TripAdvisor.com)
- Hoshinoya (Read guest reviews of Hoshinoya on TripAdvisor.com)
- Gion Hatanaka (check availability on Booking.com and Agoda.com)
- Seikoro (check availability on Booking.com and Agoda.com)
- Yoshida Sanso (check availability on Booking.com and Agoda.com)
- Garden Ryokan Yachiyo (check availability on Booking.com and Agoda.com)
Best Mid Price Ryokan In Kyoto
- Hirashin Ryokan (check availability on Booking.com or Agoda.com)
- Nishiyama Ryokan (check availability on Booking.com or Agoda.com)
- Ryokan Izuyasu (check availability on Booking.com or Agoda.com)
Best Budget Ryokan In Kyoto
- Kyoto Yoshimizu (Read guest reviews of Kyoto Yoshimizu on TripAdvisor.com)
- Ryokan Shimizu (check availability on Booking.com or Agoda.com)
- Uemera Ryokan (check availability on Booking.com or Agoda.com)
- Matsubaya Ryokan (check availability on Booking.com or Agoda.com)
- Hanakiya Ryokan (check availability on Booking.com or Agoda.com)
- Tanaka-ya (check availability on Booking.com or Agoda.com)
More Kyoto Hotels info:
- Kyoto Hotels Overview
- Check availability and pricing for Kyoto hotels at Agoda.com
- The Best Places To Stay In Kyoto
- Where To Stay In Kyoto
- Best Value Hotels In Kyoto
- Kyoto Vacation Rentals
- Best Luxury Hotels in Kyoto
- Best Boutique Hotels in Kyoto
- Best Mid-Range Hotels in Kyoto
- Best Budget Hotels in Kyoto
- Best Kyoto Hostels and Guesthouses
- Best Kyoto Hotels For Families
- Best Ryokan In Kyoto
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Icoca card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- Get travel insurance for Japan - World Nomads is well-regarded (and here's why)