About 15 kms southwest of Kyoto, and easily accessed by both the Keihan Line and the JR Line, Uji is famous for the lovely Byodo-in Temple (the temple on the back of the Y10 coin). It’s also famous as a tea growing area.
Byodoin Temple Buddhist temple
Uji Area Description:
Uji is a suburb of Kyoto about 20 minutes south of Kyoto by train. The town is located on the banks of the Uji-gawa River, tucked against picturesque mountains, which are covered with tea plantations (you’ll need a car to properly explore these). While Uji isn’t one of Kyoto’s main attractions, it makes a decent half-day trip out of Kyoto for those who’ve got at least five days in the city.
Sights and Activities in Uji
- Byodo-in Temple
A superb Hiean-era temple in the southeast suburb of Uji, Byodo-in a brilliant place to visit for those who want to step off the beaten track
- Ujigami-jinja Shrine
Not much too look at, we include this small shrine because UNESCO has decided, in all its wisdom, to designate it a World Heritage Site
- Uji-bashi Bridge
The unique design of the Uji-bashi Bridge has figured in so many poems, novels and paintings of Japanese culture that it would be churlish not to include it here
Getting to Uji
- By JR Line train: Take the JR Nara line from Kyoto Station and get off at Uji Station (20 minutes, Y230).
- By Keihan Line train: Take the Keihan Main Line south toward Osaka, get off at Chushojima and switch to the Uji Line and get off at Uji Station (total journey about 30 minutes, Y320).
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, you might save money with Japan Rail Pass – see if it's worth itfor you
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world