Japan Travel Guides
There are several must-see destinations in Japan within easy reach of Kyoto. They all make great additions to any Kyoto itinerary. These concise guides provide details about what to see and do.
Explore Kyoto On Your Laptop, Smartphone And Tablet
InsideKyoto.com is designed to read on all your devices
- Plan your trip to Kyoto on your laptop – view our Kyoto Itineraries and the Best Times Of The Year To Visit Kyoto, book a Kyoto hotel or Ryokan (traditional Japanese inn), and explore Kyoto’s bewitching districts
- Get a Japanese SIM card when you arrive in Kyoto – then you can access all your important online services and use InsideKyoto.com on your phone too to guide you around the city – the same info is on every webpage, and it will resize to be readable on your phone and tablet too
- Nearly every attraction listed on InsideKyoto.com has a Google Map location you can use on your phone to put you right where you need to be. Plus Japanese text to show to taxi drivers, opening times, price of admission and more
- InsideKyoto.com is written by Chris Rowthorn, author of Lonely Planet Kyoto for the last 7 editions – for more Kyoto travel guide goodness, we recommend you buy Lonely Planet Kyoto
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router.
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass - here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- Get travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads (and here's why)
Kyoto District MapClick a Kyoto District for detailed info on attractions, places to eat and accommodation
Disclosure: InsideKyoto.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program
designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com and amazon.co.uk.