If you’d like a Japan expert to help plan your Japan trip or answer your questions about Japan, contact Japan Travel Consulting (JTC). JTC is a team of Japan travel experts who can assist you by email, Skype, phone or FaceTime.
About Japan Travel Consulting (JTC)
Japan Travel Consulting (JTC) is a team of Japan travel journalists, long-term Japan residents and travel consultants. JTC is operated by Chris Rowthorn, a 20-year resident of Kyoto and author of 19 Japan guidebooks for Lonely Planet, as well as the co-founder of the Inside Kyoto, Truly Tokyo and Inside Osaka websites. The JTC team consists of four Lonely Planet Japan authors, the leading foreign expert on Japan hiking, and a Kyoto-based photographer and guide.
How It Works
We offer voice (Skype/Facetime), email and full trip planning services.
Voice consulting is great for high-level planning. We help you choose your destinations within Japan, your mode of travel, the places you’ll stay and your activities. We don’t produce a full, detailed itinerary, but we send you a list of links and place names following the conversation.
Email consulting is like voice consulting, but it’s via email. It’s a good choice if you don’t have time to speak. Like voice consulting, it’s great for high-level planning. We help you choose your destinations within Japan, your mode of travel, the places you’ll stay and your activities. We don’t produce a full, detailed itinerary, but we send you a list of links and place names following the conversation.
Full trip planning usually starts with a voice consultation. Then, we work with you by email to produce a full itinerary, with accommodation recommendations, daily itineraries, transport information and, in some cases, restaurant recommendations. This usually comes in the form of a Word document or a PDF, and it might include Google maps, where necessary.
All types of consulting are US$175 per hour.
JTC is not a travel agent. JTC does not sell or book travel, hotels or transport. Rather, JTC gives you the information you need to book the best hotels, ryokan, transport options and guides etc at the best rates.
How To Book A Consultation
Please fill in the form below with as much detail as possible about your requirements. You’ll then be matched up with a travel expert to provide you with the planning you need.
Payment is via PayPal (you do not need a PayPal account to make a payment).
Payment is in advance for voice and email consulting.
For full trip planning, we require a deposit of ¥15,000 (about US$133 or €113) to start the consultation and this covers your first hour of consulting. Thereafter we bill for every two hours we spend. Payment is as you go and full details of how we spend our time are provided. There will be no surprises. We can provide an estimate before we start. As a guideline, a typical 1-week trip in Japan takes about 7 hours to plan (but this can vary widely).
Please note we are only able to respond to genuine enquiries seeking to hire our travel experts.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router.
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass - here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- Get travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads (and here's why)