Torii (shrine gate) at Heian-jingu Shrine in snow – image © Jeffrey Friedl
Hiean-jingu is one of the best places in Kyoto for “hatsumode” (first shrine visit of the year). Here’s the dramatic torii (shrine gate) of the shrine under snow. On New Year’s Eve, the shrine stays open late to accommodate late-night worshippers.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads