Detail of main hall at Kitano-tenmangu Shrine – image © Jeffrey Friedl
Located in Northwest Kyoto, Kitano-tenmangu Shrine has one of the city’s most beautifully decorated main halls, as this photo shows. It’s a nice place to visit in February and March, when the plums are blooming.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads