The Phoenix Hall at Byodo-in Temple in Uji – image © Damien Douxchamps
A short trip south of Kyoto, the town of Uji is home to some spectacular sights, including the temple of Byodo-in, which is pictured on the back of a Japanese Y10 coin. It’s a nice half-day trip out of Kyoto.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads (and here's why)