Main hall of Kinkaku-ji Temple under snow © Puripat Lertpunyaroj / Shutterstock.com
What a way to start the New Year: snow at Kinkaku-ji Temple, Kyoto’s famed “Golden Pavilion.” If you are lucky enough to see this temple under snow with blue skies, you can be sure that you are blessed. For information ways to ring in the New Year, see New Year’s in Kyoto.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router.
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass - here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- Get travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads (and here's why)