Daimonji-yama above the Path of Philosophy © Tatsuo Nakamura / Shutterstock.com
Daimonji is our favorite mountain in Kyoto. The climb to the “Dai” character on the mountainside is the best hike near the city. On August 16th, during the Gozan-Okuribi Festival, the character will be set ablaze just after sunset. For details on the festival, see Kyoto Festivals. For details on the hike, see our Mt Daimonji-yama Hike from Ginkaku-ji Temple page.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router.
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass - here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Icoca card makes travelling around Kyoto easy - here's how.
- Get travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads (and here's why)