A touching temple at the top of the Arashiyama sightseeing district, you’ll find 8000 Buddhist statues here placed in memory of those who died without kin.
Thousands of Little Buddhas © neekohfi
If you’ve walked the whole Arashiyama tourist trail from Tenryu-ji Temple to this distant mountain end of the road, you’ll find yourself at the base of the steps leading up to Adashino-Nembutsu-ji Temple, a temple dedicated to the repose of souls who have died without families to remember them. On the evenings of 23 and 24 August, a ceremony is held in which candles are lit throughout the grounds.
17 Adashino-cho, Sagatoriimoto, Ukyo-ku
High and junior high school students: \400
Elementary school students and younger: Free
Non-smoking area:: Yes
40min walk from Arashiyama Station, Keifuku Arashiyama line
Official Website (Japanese)
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
See my complete list of hand-picked recommendations for Arashiyama, including things to do, places to eat and places to stay.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads