They simply do not make restaurants more attractive than this old teahouse near Atago Torii in Arashiyama. It’s a teahouse that doubles as a proper restaurant.
With an atmospheric thatched roof, this traditional country house has been turned into one of Kyoto’s most attractive restaurants. You can choose from a simple cup of hot matcha tea with a sweet for Y840, or you can reserve one of the back rooms for a full kaiseki spread that will run about Y15,000 per person.
16 Senno-cho, Saga Toriimoto, Ukyo-ku
Non-smoking area:: Yes
5min walk from Otaginenbutsu-ji-mae Bus Stop, Kyoto City Bus 72 from Kyoto Station
Official Website (Japanese)
Read customer reviews of Hiranoya on TripAdvisor
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads