October 2022: Please note Palace Side Hotel has now permanently closed. Please see our Central Kyoto page for other places to stay in the area.
An inexpensive traveler’s hotel next to the Imperial Palace, The Palace Side Hotel is a decent choice for budget travelers who want to be based in midtown.
Overlooking the west side of the Kyoto Imperial Palace Park, the Palace Side Hotel is a basic but serviceable hotel that was designed with foreign travelers in mind. It’s got everything you need: laundry facilities, free internet terminals, an onsite restaurant, and English-speaking staff. Due to its location directly across the street from the Kyoto Imperial Palace Park, this is a good spot for those who like to start their day with a contemplative stroll or a jog.
Most people, however, find that the location isn’t that great for sightseeing: it too far west to comfortably walk to the major sightseeing districts on the east side of town (but, it’s within easy striking distance by bicycle). It’s also very close to a subway station and it not too far from Doshisha University, meaning that there are plenty of cheap restaurants nearby. The major downside here is that the place is getting a bit long in the tooth and some of the rooms need refurbishing. Still, considering the prices they charge, it’s hard to complain.
Karasuma-dori, Shimotachiuri agaru, Kamigyo-ku,
Internet: wifi and LAN cable access
Non-smoking rooms: Yes
3min walk from Marutamachi Station Karasuma subway line
:: Check availability and pricing for The Palace Side Hotel on Booking.com or Agoda.com.
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Suica card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world