An inexpensive traveler’s hotel next to the Imperial Palace, The Palace Side Hotel is a decent choice for budget travelers who want to be based in midtown.
Overlooking the west side of the Kyoto Imperial Palace Park, the Palace Side Hotel is a basic but serviceable hotel that was designed with foreign travelers in mind. It’s got everything you need: laundry facilities, free internet terminals, an onsite restaurant, and English-speaking staff. Due to its location directly across the street from the Kyoto Imperial Palace Park, this is a good spot for those who like to start their day with a contemplative stroll or a jog.
Most people, however, find that the location isn’t that great for sightseeing: it too far west to comfortably walk to the major sightseeing districts on the east side of town (but, it’s within easy striking distance by bicycle). It’s also very close to a subway station and it not too far from Doshisha University, meaning that there are plenty of cheap restaurants nearby. The major downside here is that the place is getting a bit long in the tooth and some of the rooms need refurbishing. Still, considering the prices they charge, it’s hard to complain.
Karasuma-dori, Shimotachiuri agaru, Kamigyo-ku,
Internet: wifi and LAN cable access
Non-smoking rooms: Yes
3min walk from Marutamachi Station Karasuma subway line
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads