With a commanding position overlooking the city of Kyoto, the Westin Miyako is ideally located between the Northern and Southern Higashiyama sightseeing districts.
One of the oldest Western-style hotels in Kyoto, the Westin Miyako (formerly the Miyako Hotel) has long played host to visiting royalty, rock stars and glitterati. It’s not hard to understand its appeal: not only can you walk out the door and be in some of the city’s most important sightseeing districts in a matter of minutes, it’s also located almost directly over a subway station, making getting downtown a breeze.
Some of the deluxe rooms on the north side boast great views over the city (as far as the Kitayama Mountains) and there’s even a small ryokan on the premises for conservative Japanese guests who want the convenience of a hotel without the need to sleep in a Western-style bed.
Overall, considering the great location, the Westin is still a nice place to stay. However, we’ve recently been hearing reports from some users complaining that the hotel is starting to feel a bit dated and rundown. Others have complained about being charged to use the gym and the quality of air-conditioning in rooms. Keep this in mind when making your decision.
Keage, Sanjo-dori, Higashiyama-ku
Internet: wifi and LAN cable access
Non-smoking rooms: Yes
2min walk from Keage Station Exit 2, Tozai subway line
Official Site (English)
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
More Kyoto Hotels info:
- Kyoto Hotels Overview
- Check availability and pricing for Kyoto hotels at Agoda.com
- The Best Places To Stay In Kyoto
- Where To Stay In Kyoto
- Best Value Hotels In Kyoto
- Kyoto Vacation Rentals
- Best Luxury Hotels in Kyoto
- Best Boutique Hotels in Kyoto
- Best Mid-Range Hotels in Kyoto
- Best Budget Hotels in Kyoto
- Best Kyoto Hostels and Guesthouses
- Best Kyoto Hotels For Families
- Best Ryokan In Kyoto
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Icoca card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- Get travel insurance for Japan - World Nomads is well-regarded (and here's why)