Escape the crowds and (if you’re lucky) mingle with the monkeys at Arashiyama’s lovely hilltop park, Kameyama-koen Park.
Monkeys!!! © Amy_Jane
Few foreign tourists every make it to Arashiyama’s Kameyama-koen Park, which is a shame, since it’s one of the nicest parts of the area and it is a brilliant refuge from the crowds that plague the rest of Arashiyama during busy seasons. You can reach it by two ways from the main street of Arashiyama (the one that runs in front of Keifuku Arashiyama Station and Tenryu-ji Temple).
Either walk up the river on the northern bank, past the ryokan and restaurants, and then climb one of the flights of stone steps that lead up into the park. Or, after walking through the Arashiyama Bamboo Grove, take a left at the T-junction at the top of the hill and you’ll soon find yourself in the park. Make your way uphill and to the west to get some fine views down to the Hozu-gawa River and across Kyoto. Cherry blossoms bloom here in late March and early April and troops of wild monkeys occasionally patrol the park.
English address: Kamenoo-cho, Saga, Ukyo-ku
Japanese address: 右京区嵯峨亀ノ尾町
Opening hours: 24hrs
Non-smoking area: Yes
9 min walk from Arashiyama Station, Keifuku dentetsu, Arashiyama line
15 min walk from Saga Arashiyama Station, JR Sagano line
11 min walk from Arashiyama Station, Henkyu railway
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
See my complete list of hand-picked recommendations for Arashiyama, including things to do, places to eat and places to stay.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads (and here's why)