Kurama-dera Mountain Temple is easily the best day- or half-day trip out of Kyoto. High on the shoulder of Mt. Kurama, you can feel the power of nature up here.
Kurama is a small mountain village tucked into the Kitayama Mountains about 30 minutes north of the city by Eizan Densha Train, which leaves from Kyoto’s Demachiyanagi Station (the northern terminus of the Keihan Train Line). The ride up into the mountains is half the fun of a trip to Kurama: you progress from city, to suburb, to forested hills and thatched-roof houses. In addition to Kurama-dera Mountain Temple, there’s also Kurama Onsen (hot spring). For those with energy, you can walk up to the temple and continue over the mountain and descend into the picturesque village of Kibune. All in all, this is one of the most rewarding destinations in the Kyoto area.
1074 Kurama Honmachi, Sakyo-ku
Junior high students and younger: Free
Non-smoking area: Yes
2min walk from Kurama Station, Eizan line
Near To Here:
Kurama-dera Mountain Temple is located in Kyoto’s Kurama and Kibune district. See our complete list of things to do in Kyoto’s Kurama and Kibune district, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads (and here's why)