The Kyoto Municipal Museum of Art is the best museum in Kyoto (it’s only eclipsed by the Kyoto National Museum when the National is holding a special exhibition).
京都市美術館-The Kyoto Municipal Museum of Art © INABA Tomoaki
Located in Okazaki-koen Park, on the east side of the vast torii (shrine gate) of Hiean-jingu Shrine, the Kyoto Municipal Museum of Art is always worth a look. There are often free shows being held on the first floor and many of these are of surprisingly high quality. The also hold a variety of special exhibits which usually feature various famous Japanese artists or art movements. But, the highlight of the year here is the Kyo-ten exhibit, which features some of the best artists living and working in Kyoto, working in a wide range of media from oil paintings to lacquerware to textiles. It’s usually held from late May into early June. If you’re in town then, don’t miss it!
Please note that the museum is presently being renovated. Construction is slated to finish in March 2020. During renovation, you can still visit the museum, but you might have to enter by an alternative entrance.
124 Enshoji-cho, Okazaki, Sakyo-ku
9am-5pm, last entry 4.30pm
Closed Monday, except when Monday is a national holiday, December 28 – January 2
Varies by exhibition
Non-smoking area: Yes
In front of Kyoto Kaikan Bijutsukan-mae Bus Stop, Kyoto City Bus 5 from Kyoto Station
10min walk from Higashiyama Station, Tozai subway line
Official Website (English)
See also my previous post on the Seika University Graduation Works Show which is held at the museum.
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Near To Here:
Kyoto Municipal Museum of Art is located in Kyoto’s Northern Higashiyama district. See our complete list of things to do in Northern Higashiyama, including places to eat, nightlife and places to stay.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads (and here's why)