Nishi-Hongan-ji Temple is a Pure Land Buddhist paradise within walking distance of Kyoto Station. It’s one of the best sights in the Kyoto Station area.
Nishi Honganji © kalasmannen
A slightly more subdued version of its nearby neighbor, Higashi-Hongan-ji Temple, this temple serves as the headquarters of the Hongan-ji Branch of the Jodo (Pure Land) School of Buddhism. Check out the enormous Goei-do Main Hall, the Daisho-in Hall and the fabulous carvings of the Kara-mon Gate. Since the temple is a little further from the station than Higashi-Hongan-ji Temple, it receives fewer visitors and it’s a more peaceful place for a stroll and a contemplative break.
Horikawa-dori, Hanaya-cho sagaru, Shimogyo-ku
5.30am-5.30pm March, April, September, October
Non-smoking area: Yes
15min walk from JR Kyoto Station Karasuma central gate
Official Website (English)
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads (and here's why)