Nishi-Hongan-ji Temple is a Pure Land Buddhist paradise within walking distance of Kyoto Station. It’s one of the best sights in the Kyoto Station area.
Nishi Honganji © kalasmannen
A slightly more subdued version of its nearby neighbor, Higashi-Hongan-ji Temple, this temple serves as the headquarters of the Hongan-ji Branch of the Jodo (Pure Land) School of Buddhism. Check out the enormous Goei-do Main Hall, the Daisho-in Hall and the fabulous carvings of the Kara-mon Gate. Since the temple is a little further from the station than Higashi-Hongan-ji Temple, it receives fewer visitors and it’s a more peaceful place for a stroll and a contemplative break.
Horikawa-dori, Hanaya-cho sagaru, Shimogyo-ku
5.30am-5.30pm March, April, September, October
Non-smoking area: Yes
15min walk from JR Kyoto Station Karasuma central gate
Official Website (English)
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
See my complete list of hand-picked recommendations for the Kyoto Station Area, including things to do, places to eat and places to stay.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads (and here's why)