Japan’s most famous “Zen” garden consists of 15 carefully placed rocks that float mesmerizingly on sea of gravel – an example of carefully calculated randomness.
Ryoan-ji Temple © eliazar
Even after centuries in existence no one has cracked the riddle of these seemingly random rock clusters that seem to float on the sea of gravel at the famous karesansui (dry gravel garden) Ryoan-ji Te. Like nearby Kinkaku-ji, Ryoan-ji is best visited as soon as it opens or just before it closes.
13 Goryonoshitamachi, Ryoan-ji, Ukyo-ku
Junior high and elementary school students: \300
Non-smoking area: Yes
In front of Ryoan-ji-mae Bus Stop, Kyoto City Bus 59 from Sanjo Keihan
Official Website (English)
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
See my complete list of hand-picked recommendations for Northwest Kyoto, including things to do, places to eat and places to stay.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads (and here's why)