Located right on the Shirakawa Canal in Shimbashi, Kyoto’s most beautiful street, Shiraume is a fine ryokan right in the heart of old Gion.
Shiraume is one of those ryokan that manages to get everything right, from the service, to the décor to the food, not to mention the location which is arguably the best in all Kyoto. Quickly gathering a loyal following of foreign guests, Shiraume is the perfect place to have your ryokan experience.
Gion Shinbashi Shirakawa hotori, Higashiyama-ku
Internet: wifi access
Non-smoking rooms: Yes
3min walk from Gion Shijo Station, Keihan Line
5min walk from Sanjo Station, Keihan Line or Sanjo Keihan Station, Tozai subway line
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router.
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass - here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- Get travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads (and here's why)