Located on Kawaramachi-dori, a short walk from the Kyoto Imperial Palace (Gosho), Sogen serves healthy and traditional Japanese meals at incredibly reasonable prices. It’s a little gem of a restaurant!
Sogen chicken lunch – image © Chris Rowthorn
At lunchtime, Sogen serves a brilliant chicken or fish lunch for Y1,300. As you can see in the picture, it comes with all the trimmings and it’s fantastically healthy. Frankly, we can’t understand how they serve such beautiful food for such a reasonable price.
Sogen fish lunch – image © Chris Rowthorn
The restaurant is clean, simple and stylishly designed. It’s a relaxing and comfortable place to eat.
Sogen interior – image © Chris Rowthorn
At dinner, they serve a variety of tasty Japanese meals and a la carte dishes. You can get a good idea of what’s on offer by looking at the menu outside.
Sogen menu – image © Chris Rowthorn
It’s easy to find the place because of the name “Sogen” on the white noren curtains out front.
Name in English:
Name in Japanese:
573 Takamiya-cho, Tominokoji-dori-Takoyakushi-sagaru, Nakagyo-ku
Closed 2nd Wednesday
Price: cheap to moderate
Non-smoking area: Yes
5min walk from Karasuma Station Exit 13, Hankyu line or Shijo Station, Karasuma subway line
Official site (Japanese)
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com – usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass – here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- A prepaid Icoca card makes travelling around Kyoto easy – here's how
- World Nomads offers simple and flexible travel insurance. Buy at home or while traveling and claim online from anywhere in the world