Suiran is a fine luxury hotel with a superb location in Arashiyama, overlooking the Hozu-gawa River. It offers spacious and well-equipped rooms and excellent views.
Suiran Garden Terrace Suite “Gyokuto” © Starwood
Converted from a graceful old ryokan, Suiran is a modern luxury hotel with lots of Japanese touches. It is built on the banks of the Hozu-gawa River and offers greenery-filled views from many of its rooms. The rooms are more spacious than most hotels in Kyoto and are conducive to lazy relaxation, especially the three suite rooms, which have private outdoor baths with mind-blowing views of the nearby mountains.
Suiran Room Rendering © Starwood
For people who want to be close to the action in downtown Kyoto, this hotel is not ideal. But, for those who want a feeling of escape and plenty of opportunities to stroll in lovely surroundings, the Suiran is highly recommended. And, it’s really only a 20-minute taxi ride to downtown.
For more on the Suiran, see my Suiran: First Impressions post.
12 Susukinobaba-cho, Saga-Tenryuji, Ukyo-ku
Internet: wifi and LAN cable access
Non-smoking rooms: Yes
5 min walk from Arashiyama Station, Keifuku Line, Arashiyama line
13 min walk from Saga Arashiyama Station, JR Sagano line
15 min walk from Arashiyama Station, Henkyu railway
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads (and here's why)