Morita Washi is our favorite shop in Kyoto. Full stop. Specializing in washi (Japanese handmade paper), this place is an artist’s dream come true.
If you aren’t familiar with washi, this place will be a revelation to you. You simply won’t believe the variety of paper and paper goods on offer here, with everything from rough “country-style” paper to intricately-patterned paper that is literally suitable for framing. You can spend hours here browsing the offerings here and it’s nearly impossible to leave without buying much more than you had intended. But, fear not: your purchase won’t go to waste – washi happens to make the world’s most distinctive and memorable gift-wrapping paper.
1F Kajinoha Building, 298 Ogisakaya-cho, Higashinotoin-dori, Bukkoji agaru, Shimogyo-ku
9:30am-5:30pm, to 4:30pm Saturday
Closed Sunday & national holidays
Hand-made washi (620mm x 970mm) from \270
10min walk from Shijo Station, Karasuma subway line or Karasuma Station, Hankyu line
Official Website (Japanese)
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- For all the essentials in a brief overview, see my First Time In Kyoto guide
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- Need tips on where to stay? See my one page guide Where To Stay In Kyoto
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport. Or rent an unlimited data pocket wifi router.
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, save a ton of money with a Japan Rail Pass - here's my explanation of why it's worth it
- Get travel insurance for Japan - we recommend World Nomads (and here's why)