A long pagoda rising overlooking the floating world of Gion below, Yasaka-no-to Pagoda is a lovely sight by day or night.
image © Damien Douxchamps
While most pagodas come complete with temples, Yasaka-no-to Pagoda stands mostly alone, the buildings of the temple of which it once belonged (Hokan-ji Temple) having been destroyed by fires, earthquakes and wars over the years. We’re thankful that the pagoda survived, because it’s a stunner. It stands at the top of Yasaka-dori, which is itself unique for the lack of overhead power lines, which were removed to preserve the view of the pagoda. The pagoda can easily be accessed from Higashioji-dori, or by ducking off of the bottom of Ninen-zaka. It’s particularly lovely after dark, especially when the lone cherry tree at the base of the pagoda is in bloom.
388 Yasakakamimachi, Higashiyama-ku
(Children under elementary school cannot enter.)
Non-smoking area: Yes
5min walk from Kiyomizu-michi Bus Stop, Kyoto City Bus 100 or 206 from Kyoto Station
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
See my complete list of hand-picked recommendations for Southern Higashiyama, including things to do, places to eat and places to stay.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Buy a data-only SIM card online for collection when you arrive at Kansai International Airport (for Osaka and Kyoto) or Tokyo's Narita Airport
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads