This quaint hermit’s cottage was once the home of one of haiku master Matsuo Basho’s disciples. It’s a good palate cleanser between the area temples.
image © Damien Douxchamps
If you’ve got a taste for rustic simplicity, you’ll love Rakushisha, a thatched-roof hut that housed one of Matsuo Basho’s poetic disciples (it’s said that the master stopped by here on occasion, but he did not live here, contrary to popular belief). The admission is a mere snip at Y200, but you can get a good sense of the place by merely looking from outside the fence, which costs nothing.
English address: 20 Hinomyojin-cho, Saga Ogurayama, Ukyo-ku
Japanese address: 右京区嵯峨小倉山緋明神町20
9:00am-5:00pm (10:00am-4:00pm January and February)
Closed on December 31st and January 1st
Non-smoking area: Yes
15 min walk from Saga Arashiyama Station, JR Sagano line
30 min walk from Arashiyama Station, Henkyu railway
Official Website (Japanese)
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings on Skyscanner
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads