Morita Washi is our favorite shop in Kyoto. Full stop. Specializing in washi (Japanese handmade paper), this place is an artist’s dream come true.
If you aren’t familiar with washi, this place will be a revelation to you. You simply won’t believe the variety of paper and paper goods on offer here, with everything from rough “country-style” paper to intricately-patterned paper that is literally suitable for framing. You can spend hours here browsing the offerings here and it’s nearly impossible to leave without buying much more than you had intended. But, fear not: your purchase won’t go to waste – washi happens to make the world’s most distinctive and memorable gift-wrapping paper.
1F Kajinoha Building, 298 Ogisakaya-cho, Higashinotoin-dori, Bukkoji agaru, Shimogyo-ku
9:30am-5:30pm, to 4:30pm Saturday
Closed Sunday & national holidays
Hand-made washi (620mm x 970mm) from \270
10min walk from Shijo Station, Karasuma subway line or Karasuma Station, Hankyu line
Official Website (Japanese)
Where Is This Place Located?See these places on our Kyoto Google map:
- Open the Kyoto map
- You will see the list of places on the left hand side. (Click the 3-line icon in the top left corner if not). Scroll down or use the map search (the magnifying glass icon) to find the place you want.
- Click the name of the place in the list. Its location pin will be highlighted on the map.
- Map pins are color coded - BLUE: Hotels | VIOLET: Ryokan | PINK: Places to Eat | YELLOW: Things to See and Do
- If you're using the map on your phone, open the map and then search for the name of the place. The map will then zoom in on its location.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings on Skyscanner
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability and pricing on Booking.com
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads