Garden at Ninna-ji Temple – image © Damien Douxchamps
If you’re going to head up to Kinkaku-ji or Ryoan-ji in northwest Kyoto, then consider going a little further and visiting Ninna-ji Temple, which attracts fewer visitors, but boasts a brilliant garden.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings on Skyscanner
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads