https://www.insidekyoto.com/shisen-do-temple-northern-higashiyama – image © Damien Douxchamps
If you really want to escape the crowds, head up to the temples in far northern Higashiyama (which means temples north of Ginkaku-ji). One of the real gems up here is Shisen-do Temple, which is beautiful year round, but especially fine in Autumn.
Kyoto Vacation Checklist
- Check Kyoto accommodation availability on Booking.com - usually you can reserve a room with no upfront payment. Pay when you check out. Free cancellations too.
- See my comprehensive Packing List For Japan
- Compare Japan flight prices and timings to find the best deals
- If you're visiting more than one city, get your Japan Rail Pass
- Get travel insurance for your Japan trip - book online with World Nomads